Q: Who teaches lessons?
A: Applied music lessons (MUAP) are provided through our Joint Music Program by faculty of the Cleveland Institute of Music. Admitted students interested in scheduling a trial music lesson with a JMP faculty member should email Jennifer (Harmon) Wright. Please allow enough time to coordinate logistics.

Q: How do I register for lessons?
A: Incoming music majors are assigned and auto-enrolled in a primary studio by CIM based on availability and assessment of needed skill development. Music majors can also take secondary lessons at no additional cost. Approval must be given to incoming students by the first-year advisor (Eric Charnofsky) and scheduled through the Department of Music (Jennifer Wright). Returning music majors will be asked to hold regular applied lesson registration appointments. Music minors/non-majors can also take lessons for a fee and should review the information here.

Q: Is there a cost for lessons?
A: CWRU pays CIM for teaching lessons to all of our music majors. This includes lessons beyond the requirement for the various concentrations and also secondary lessons where applicable. Music minors/non-majors can also take lessons for a fee and should review the information here. The applied music fee is added to the term bill each semester.

Q: How do I register for ensembles?
A: The Department of Music is pleased to offer a wide variety of academic Ensembles (MUEN) that are open to all CWRU affiliated individuals (faculty, staff, students, alumni, and University Circle community members). For those who are interested in performing please see the webpage for the group that you are interested in joining and you will find the information that you need to join. If you require further information the ensemble director’s information is provided for direct communication.

Q: Do ensembles require an audition?
A: Yes. Most ensembles require an audition and permission from the director. Auditions take place in the fall during orientation or the first week of class. The Ensembles page will give more information. Interested students should contact the ensemble director by email with any specific questions.

Q: Are there any musical theater opportunities at CWRU?
A: Students with interest in musical theater generally participate in the Footlighters, a student-run campus organization that produces a show each semester. The Department of Theater offers education and participation in all aspects of drama with course offerings in acting, design, directing, history and literature, playwriting, and stagecraft. Students have the opportunity to perform on stage as well as serve on the technical crews in mainstage theatrical productions each year.

Q: Is there storage for instruments?
A: Any student who performs in an instrumental ensemble is eligible to sign out a locker in Denison Hall for the purpose of storing their instrument. Information is provided to students during auditions and on the General Ensemble page.

Q: Does CWRU Music rent or loan instruments to students?
A: Students that participate in our large ensembles, such as marching band, wind band, orchestra or jazz ensembles may borrow instruments from the department with the approval of an ensemble director. Instrument loans are done by semester and with approval of the faculty member whose ensemble the student will be playing that instrument for. To request to rent out an instrument, you may fill out the Instrument Loan Request form, or email Summer Canter.

Q: Where do students do individual practice?
A: There are several acoustically isolated practice rooms in Denison Music Hall (@ Wade Commons) and 4 practice rooms in Haydn Hall that have grand pianos. All music majors, ensembles members and students taking lessons have 24-hour access to these buildings. Music spaces (or common rooms) are provided in most residential buildings.