Date: August 27, 2019 9:00 am
Location: See Ensembles List
The Department of Music is pleased to offer a variety of ensembles (MUEN) that are open to all CWRU affiliated individuals (faculty, staff, students, alumni, and University Circle community members). Auditions take place during the first week of the Fall semester.
- Choral Ensembles and Keyboard Ensemble
Please see the Ensembles List for the group you are interested in joining and you will find the information you need to join. For additional questions, the ensemble director’s information is provided for direct communication.
- Instrumental Ensembles
In order to provide a high-quality instrumental ensemble experience, we want to place students in the group that best matches their musical level, interests, availability, as well as balance the number of performers to the repertoire. Therefore, all instrumental ensembles require an audition for placement. Please see the Ensembles List for the group that you are interested in for more specific information.
- Spartan Marching Band
Membership in SMB is open to all current CWRU students. Auditions are not required for wind musicians, however, auditions are required for the SMB Drumline (requirements will be posted by August 10). Please see the pre-season training schedule for details pertaining to the audition date. Check here for more information or to contact the marching band director.
- Historical Performance Practice
Please see the Ensembles List for the group you are interested in joining. Email the ensemble director for audition information. Plan to attend the first class meeting/rehearsal session.
- Ensemble Course Registration (MUEN)
Please make sure to enroll in the appropriate ensemble course (MUEN) in SIS before drop/add ends. Most ensembles are offered at variable credit (0-1 units).
Applied Music Lessons (MUAP)
All CWRU students can take applied music lessons with affiliated CIM faculty members through our Joint Music Program.
- Incoming undergraduate music majors will automatically be enrolled in principal applied music lessons (MUAP 121) and Recital Class. Each student will receive notification of their studio placement from the music office in July. Music majors interested in secondary lessons should contact Jennifer Wright in the music office prior to orientation.
- Non-majors and music minors should complete the Request for Registration in Secondary Lessons prior to August 1st. Students should make every effort to register for lessons in SIS and contact their CIM Instructor to schedule their weekly lessons time before orientation ends.
- Graduate students must receive a lesson assignment from their faculty advisor prior to meeting with Jennifer Wright during orientation to register.
Building/Practice Room Access/Lockers | Visit: Music Facilities Policies & Procedures
CWRU music majors and students enrolled in music ensembles (MUEN) or applied music lessons (MUAP) can request after-hours access to Haydn Hall and/or Denison Hall by submitting the After-hours Access Request Form. All practice rooms remain open 24/7.
Note: After-hours access will begin the Monday after drop/add in the Fall semester. All music majors and students enrolled in ensembles or lessons will automatically be activated for after-hours access to Denison Hall and Haydn Hall. During orientation through drop/add, Denison Hall operates on extended hours (8am-10pm every day) while Haydn Hall operates within standards business hours (8am-6pm, M-F).