Similarly, the string section is also very competitive and in order to maintain the highest quality performance of this kind of orchestral literature, the string section must not get to large and remain balances so as to maintain section clarity. As a result, we have strict enrollment quotas per section so most first-year students will be assigned to the Case Camerata Chamber Orchestra (MUEN 386 ) until slots are available.
Here is a list of repertoire that has been performed by the Orchestra since 2001 :
Here is some additional basic information about that you may be interested in:
- When are auditions?
- Auditions will occur during the first week of classes. Time slot signup will be available online by July 30, 2018. See below
- When is the first rehearsal?
- Because Auditions take place during the first week of classes, the actual first rehearsal will take place on Wednesday, September 5th, 2018 promptly at 7:00 PM
- How do I register for the course?
- Request course (MUEN-385) permission in the CWRU Student Information System (SIS). Course permission will be granted after an audition has been completed during the first week of school. Permission requests will remain pending until the end of audition week. Once you are “granted permission” you need to go back into SIS and complete your registration. In order to perform in the ensemble you must officially register.
- What is the difference between registering for 0, .5, or 1 credits?
- This is a personal choice based upon each student’s available credit load and preferences
- Are instruments available?
- Specialty and large instruments are available on a limited basis for use by those enrolled in our ensembles.
- Where are practice rooms?
- Practice rooms are available in the Denison Rehearsal Facility (part of Wade Commons) during posted open hours on a first-come, first-served basis
- Is instrument storage available?
- Lockers are available for music majors, minors, and those non-majors who participate in a Department ensemble. Please click on the link below to submit a locker request.
- Please note, due to the busy start of term, it may take us a bit to respond to all requests and we ask for your patience.
- When does the Case University Circle Symphony Orchestra perform?
- The Orchestra 2018-2019 Performance Calendar will be posted below by July 30
Audition Information for Academic Year 2018 – 2019
All Auditions for the Case University Circle Orchestra ( MUEN 385, Monday and Wednesday 7:00 – 8:30 pm ) and Case Camerata Chamber Orchestra ( MUEN 386, Tuesday and Thursday 7:00 – 8:30 pm ) will be held in the Denison/Wade Rehearsal Facility beginning on Monday August 27 and continue through Thursday August 30, 2018. Auditions begin each afternoon around 4:00 pm and go through the evening.
All auditions will consist of:
- Scales ( 2 – 3 octave Major and Harmonic Minor Scales )
- A prepared piece (not to exceed 3 minutes) that shows your level of performance (can be an etude or a solo piece)
- Orchestra Excerpts (For String Players ONLY available on July 3, 2018 via this page.
Audition Materials by Instrument
String Students may electronically SIGN UP for an AUDITION TIME beginning on July 30, 2018
If you are wind player, please sign up for your audition on the Symphonic Winds page
The weekly audition schedule is divided into blocks of time for
specific individuals as follows:
|Monday August 27, 2018||MUSIC MAJORS ( STRINGS, WOODWIND, BRASS & PERCUSSION STUDENTS ) AS ASSIGNED|
|Tuesday August 28, 2018||Non Music Major Musicians|
|Wednesday August 29, 2018||Non Music Major Musicians|
|Thursday August 30, 2018||Non Music Major Musicians|
MUEN 385 – Case University Circle Symphony Orchestra Syllabus for AY 2018 – 2019
MUEN 385 Rehearsal and Performance Dates for AY 2017 – 2018