Haydn Hall houses the Department of Music faculty and staff offices, classrooms, the Kulas Music Library, the Music Education Resource Center, and The Core (see below). It is located in the heart of the Mather Quad. Originally a combination of a dormitory and classrooms, this building served as the only student center on campus. It was given to the college by Flora Stone Mather and named in honor of Hiram Collins Haydn, fifth president of Western Reserve University, pastor of the Old Stone Church, and the individual most active in convincing Western Reserve College to move to Cleveland. Charles F. Schweinfurth, the premier residential architect of Euclid Avenue (“Millionaires’ Row”) mansions, who also rebuilt the interior of the Old Stone Church in 1884 and designed Trinity Cathedral, designed Haydn Hall.
Harkness Chapel, built in 1902, features neo-Gothic architecture, antique oak and Georgia pine woodwork, and Tiffany windows. It is a warm, intimate, and acoustically resonant space for the performance of vocal and instrumental chamber music. The building provides space for concerts, music classes, and department recitals. Harkness Chapel was built to honor Florence Harkness Severance, the only daughter of Stephen Harkness and his second wife, Anna M. Richardson Harkness.
Kulas Music Library is a satellite library of Kelvin Smith Library, the university’s main library. It contains more than 45,000 items, including music scores, books on music, sound recordings, video recordings, microforms, and music periodicals. The library also contains a listening room for use of the sound recording and video collections. Music majors at the university also have access to the Robinson Music Library of the Cleveland Institute of Music. The Case Western Reserve Kulas Music Library and the CIM Robinson Music Library coordinate acquisitions and services, and their collections reflect institutional strengths as well as support the CWRU-CIM Joint Music Program.
The Core is a Macintosh computer classroom and lab dedicated to mind, sound, and vision. The Core is a collaborative space for all CWRU students, faculty and staff, as well as the University Circle community, to gather and collaborate, design in visual and aural mediums, and create masterpieces. It offers not only computers and software, but also video and digital cameras and microphones for checkout, one-on-one tutorial time, classes, and a meeting space. The Core is actively involved in bringing technology to the community, particularly younger children, and it works closely with faculty in providing support facilities for the department’s technology-related courses.
The Denison/Wade Rehearsal Facility, located on East 115th Street, is used primarily for ensemble rehearsals. This facility houses several Wenger practice rooms, one of which is a “virtual reality” acoustic room; a percussion studio; and a music library. Classrooms include the Wade Rehearsal Hall, Denison Rehearsal Hall, and Denison Chamber Room. The facility also has storage lockers available on a first-come first-serve basis. In general, Denison/Wade facilities are to be utilized by students who are music majors or are enrolled in Department of Music ensembles.
The department maintains an impressive collection of modern reproductions of early instruments. The instruments are used by the Collegium Musicum, the Case/CIM Baroque Orchestra, and the department’s program in historical performance practice. The collection includes medieval, Renaissance, and baroque strings, as well as brass, woodwinds, and keyboards.
The department provides a resource center for music education students to prepare educational materials and research projects. The center is in Haydn Hall, Room 12, and contains a variety of audiovisual media, including a library of education-oriented music software. Students may borrow items from a large collection of music textbooks, educational recordings, testing materials, vocal and instrumental books, curriculum guides, and classroom instruments. Use of this center is encouraged, and sometimes required, for many of the projects and assignments in courses throughout the music education curriculum.