Haydn Hall (Map)
Haydn Hall houses the Department of Music faculty and staff offices, classrooms, the Kulas Music Library, the Music Education Resource Center, and The Core (see below). It is located in the heart of the Mather Quad. Originally a combination of a dormitory and classrooms, this building served as the only student center on campus. It was given to the college by Flora Stone Mather and named in honor of Hiram Collins Haydn, fifth president of Western Reserve University, pastor of the Old Stone Church, and the individual most active in convincing Western Reserve College to move to Cleveland. Charles F. Schweinfurth, the premier residential architect of Euclid Avenue (“Millionaires’ Row”) mansions, who also rebuilt the interior of the Old Stone Church in 1884 and designed Trinity Cathedral, designed Haydn Hall.
Florence Harkness Memorial Chapel (Map)
Harkness Chapel, built in 1902, features neo-Gothic architecture, antique oak and Georgia pine woodwork, and Tiffany windows. It is a warm, intimate, and acoustically resonant space for the performance of vocal and instrumental chamber music. The building provides space for concerts, music classes, and department recitals. Harkness Chapel was built to honor Florence Harkness Severance, the only daughter of Stephen Harkness and his second wife, Anna M. Richardson Harkness. Learn more about Harkness Chapel.
Kulas Music Library (Map)
Kulas Music Library is a satellite library of Kelvin Smith Library, the university’s main library. It contains more than 45,000 items, including music scores, books on music, sound recordings, video recordings, microforms, and music periodicals. The library contains a listening room for use of the sound recording and video collections. Music majors at the university also have access to the Robinson Music Library of the Cleveland Institute of Music. The Case Western Reserve Kulas Music Library and the CIM Robinson Music Library coordinate acquisitions and services, and their collections reflect institutional strengths while also supporting the CWRU/CIM Joint Music Program. Learn more about the Kulas Music Library.
The Core (located in Haydn Hall)
The Core is a Macintosh computer classroom and lab dedicated to mind, sound, and vision. The Core is a collaborative space for all CWRU students, faculty and staff, as well as the University Circle community, to gather and collaborate, design in visual and aural mediums, and create masterpieces. It not only offers computers and software, but also video and digital cameras and microphones for checkout, one-on-one tutorial time, classes, and a meeting space. The Core is actively involved in bringing technology to the community, particularly younger children, and it works closely with faculty in providing support facilities for the department’s technology-related courses. Learn more about The Core.
Denison Hall (Map)
Denison Hall, located near Wade Commons (the main hub for the North Residential Village), is used primarily for ensemble rehearsals. This facility houses several Wenger practice modules, one of which is a “virtual reality” acoustic room; a percussion studio; and a music library. Classrooms include the Wade Rehearsal Hall, Denison Rehearsal Hall, and Denison Chamber Room. The facility also has storage rooms for marching band uniforms/equipment and instrument storage lockers (available to music majors and students enrolled in ensembles). In general, the classrooms in Denison Hall are to be utilized by students who are music majors or are enrolled in music ensembles (MUEN) or applied music lessons (MUAP).
Kulas Collection of Early Instruments
The department maintains an impressive collection of modern reproductions of early instruments. The instruments are used by the Collegium Musicum, the Case/CIM Baroque Orchestra, and the department’s program in historical performance practice. The collection includes medieval, Renaissance, and baroque strings, as well as brass, woodwinds, and keyboards.
Music Education Resource Center (located in Haydn Hall)
The department provides a resource center for music education students to prepare educational materials and research projects. The center is in Haydn Hall, Room 12, and contains a variety of audiovisual media, including a library of education-oriented music software. Students may borrow items from a large collection of music textbooks, educational recordings, testing materials, vocal and instrumental books, curriculum guides, and classroom instruments. Use of this center is encouraged, and sometimes required, for many of the projects and assignments in courses throughout the music education curriculum.
Maltz Performing Arts Center (Map)
The Milton and Tamar Maltz Performing Arts Center at The Temple–Tifereth Israel opened in 2015 after extensive restoration and renovation of the structure, which first opened as a synagogue in 1924. Today, the center is an active venue for performances and events, including lectures and music concerts. Located at 1855 Ansel Road at East 105th Street, it includes Silver Hall, a 1,000-seat concert hall for large ensemble performances, and Koch Hall, a 90-seat recital hall for smaller performances. Learn more about the Maltz Performing Arts Center.
Details about our practice rooms, operating hours, general usage guidelines, building access, etc. can be found within our Music Facilities Policies and Procedures.