The Case University Circle Orchestra (MUEN 385) is open to all CWRU students, faculty, and community members by audition who play a woodwind, brass, percussion or string instruments and who desire to perform in a high level ensemble. The group rehearses twice per week for a total of 90 minutes and performs 5 to 7 concerts per academic year. The repertoire is drawn from standard orchestral literature comprised of symphonies, overtures, suites, etc. as well as other more contemporary genres such a Rock and Jazz. The ensemble also works in collaboration with the Case Concert Choir, Case Jazz ensembles, and other University Circle affiliated groups.
Performance in this group requires a high level of commitment because the repertoire demands outside practice in addition to the regular rehearsals and some of the responsibilities ( dress rehearsals and concerts ) can be outside of the regular rehearsal schedule.
Orchestral literature requires high level solo wind players since they are usually one person on a part and this also means that there are limited wind slots. These slots will be given to only the highest level performers. Accordingly, in order to give as many high level wind players the opportunity to perform in this ensemble, players will rotate between Symphonic Winds MUEN 383 ( which rehearses at the same time ) and Orchestra. This will require these performers to register for both courses ( MUEN 385 and MUEN 383) for either 0.0, 0.5, or 1.0 credits. There is a special second section of Orchestra for wind and percussion players to enroll in so that there is no “class conflict” in SIS. This will all be explained in the audition.
Similarly, the string section is also very competitive and in order to maintain the highest quality performance of this kind of orchestral literature, the string section must not get to large so as to maintain section clarity. As a result, we have strict enrollment quotas per section so most first-year students will be assigned to the Case Camerata Chamber Orchestra (MUEN 386 ) until slots are available.
Here is some additional basic information about that you may be interested in:
- When are auditions?
- Auditions will occur during the first week of classes. Time slot signup will be available online by August 1st. See below
- When is the first rehearsal?
- The first rehearsal will be held on Wednesday, September 6th, 2017 promptly at 7:00 PM (auditions occur during the first week)
- How do I register for the course?
- Request course (MUEN-385) permission in the CWRU Student Information System (SIS). Course permission will be granted after an audition has been completed during the first week of school. Permission requests will remain pending until the end of audition week. Once you are “granted permission” you need to go back into SIS and complete your registration.
- What is the difference between registering for 0, .5, or 1 credits?
- This is a personal choice based upon each student’s available credit load and preferences
- Are instruments available?
- CWRU will provide all percussion for those students enrolled in our ensembles. Specialty and large instruments are available on a limited basis for use by those enrolled in our ensembles.
- Where are practice rooms?
- Practice rooms are available in the Denison Rehearsal Facility (part of Wade Commons) during posted open hours on a first-come, first-served basis
- Is instrument storage available?
- Lockers are available for music majors, minors, and those non-majors who participate in a Department ensemble. Please click on the link below to submit a locker request.
- Please note, due to the busy start of term, it may take us a bit to respond to all requests and we ask for your patience.
- When does the Case University Circle Symphony Orchestra perform?
- The Orchestra 2017-2018 Performance Calendar is posted below under the class information section.
Audition Information for Academic Year 2017 – 2018
All Auditions for the Case University Circle Orchestra ( MUEN 385, Monday and Wednesday 7:00 – 8:30 pm ) and Case Camerata Chamber Orchestra ( MUEN 386, Tuesday and Thursday 7:00 – 8:30 pm ) will be held in the Denison/Wade Rehearsal Facility beginning on Monday August 28 and continue through Thursday August 31, 2017. Auditions begin each afternoon around and go through the evening.
Required Audition Materials will be available on July 20, 2017
String Students may electronically SIGN UP for an AUDITION TIME beginning on July 31, 2017
If you are wind player, please sign up for your audition on the Symphonic Winds page
All auditions will consist of:
Scales ( 2 – 3 octave Major and Harmonic Minor Scales )
A prepared piece (not to exceed 3 minutes) that shows your level of performance (can be an etude or a solo piece)
Orchestra Excerpts (For String Players ONLY available on July 20, 2017 via this page.
The weekly audition schedule is divided into blocks of time for specific individuals as follows:
Monday August 28, 2017
MUSIC MAJORS ( STRINGS, WOODWIND, BRASS & PERCUSSION STUDENTS ) AS ASSIGNED
Tuesday August 29, 2017
Non Music Major Musicians
Wednesday August 30, 2017
Non Music Major Musicians
Thursday August 31, 2017
Non Music Major Musicians
MUEN 385 – Case University Circle Symphony Orchestra Syllabus for AY 2017 – 2018
MUEN 385 Performance Dates for AY 2017 – 2018