The CWRU Symphonic Winds, under direction of Dr. Ryan Scherber, is the University concert band open to all CWRU & CIM undergraduate and graduate wind, brass and percussion players by audition (see below for more detailed information). An audition is required for seating and section placement each academic year.
This exceptional group of students is comprised of both music majors and non-majors. Symphonic Winds is dedicated to the performance of the most advanced repertoire written for the wind band medium. They rehearse 90 minutes per week on Monday and Wednesday evening from 7:00 to 8:30 pm and generally perform two concerts each semester.
- When are auditions?
- Auditions will occur during the first week of classes. Audition signup is now available for Spring Semester 2017.
- When is the first rehearsal?
- The first rehearsal will be held on Monday, January 22, 2018 promptly at 7:00 PM (auditions occur during the first week)
- How do I register for the course?
- Request course (MUEN-383) permission in the CWRU Student Information System (SIS). Course permission will be granted after an audition has been completed during the first week of school. Permission requests will remain pending until the end of audition week
- What is the difference between registering for 0, .5, or 1 credits?
- This is a personal choice based upon each student’s available credit load and preferences
- Are instruments available?
- CWRU will provide all percussion for those students enrolled in our ensembles. Specialty and large instruments are available on a limited basis for use by those enrolled in our ensembles.
- Where are practice rooms?
- Practice rooms are available in the Denison Rehearsal Facility (part of Wade Commons) during posted open hours on a first-come, first-served basis
- Is instrument storage available?
- Lockers are available for music majors, minors, and those non-majors who participate in a Department ensemble.
- When does Symphonic Winds perform?
Spring 2018 AUDITION GUIDELINES:
- Woodwinds & Brass:
- All wind players are asked to prepare two excerpts, one technical and one lyrical, that demonstrate technical facility, musicality, and overall control of the instrument. Each selection should be approximately 2-3 minutes in duration.
- Major or minor scales may be asked at the discretion of the adjudicator and should be performed articulated over two octaves as possible.
- Percussionists should plan to prepare both a mallet (four-hands if possible) excerpt as well as a snare excerpt. Students are also encouraged to prepare a timpani excerpt should they wish to be assigned timpani parts during the course of the academic year.
- Scales and rudiments may be asked at the discretion of the adjudicator
- Audition Signup: The link to signup for an audition time slot is below for anyone wishing to join SW during the Spring semester. Those students who performed with SW or CUCSO during Fall Semester 2017 do NOT need to re-audition
- Audition Signup Click HERE